I am a writer, academic, researcher and translator, as well as a research fellow at Coventry University and Privatdozent at Heidelberg University. Until 2014, I was Reader in Cultural Theory in the Media Department of the Coventry School of Art and Design, Coventry University. From 2007-2009 and 2010-2011, I was DAAD and DFG-Mercator Professor of English and Cultural Studies in the English Department at Heidelberg University. From 1997-2007, I was Associate Principal Lecturer in Cultural Studies at Leeds Trinity University.
I hold an MA in English and Romance Philology from Heidelberg University (1993), a PhD from the Centre for Critical and Cultural Theory (Cardiff University, 1997) and a Habilitation (English literature and cultural theory) from Heidelberg University (2009).
I was one of the executive editors of Brill’s monograph series Critical Posthumanisms (until 2018) and I am an editorial board member of a number of academic journals, namely CounterText, Word & Text and the Electronic Book Review.
My main publications include:
- Autoimmunities (with Michelle Jamieson; Parallax 23.1 (2017)).
- Narrating Life (with Elisabeth Friis; Experimental Practices 1, Brill, 2016).
- Deconstruction – Space – Ethics (Parallax 21.1 (2015)).
- European Posthumanism (with Manuela Rossini and Ivan Callus; European Journal of English Studies 18.2 (2014)), republished in book form by Routledge in 2016.
- Posthumanism – A Critical Analysis (Bloomsbury, 2013).
- Posthumanist Subjectivities (with Ivan Callus; Subjectivity 5.3 (2012)).
- Posthumanist Shakespeares (with Ivan Callus; Palgrave, 2012).
- Posthumanismus – Eine kritische Einführung (Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft, 2009).
- Cy-Borges: Memories of the Posthuman in the Work of Jorge Luis Borges (with Ivan Callus, Bucknell University Press, 2009).
- The Matrix in Theory (with Myriam Diocaretz; Critical Studies 29, Brill, 2006).
- Returning (to) Communities (with Michael Higgins; Critical Studies 28, Brill, 2006).
- Metaphors of Economy (with Nicole Bracker; Critical Studies 25, Brill, 2005)
- Post-Theory, Culture Criticism (with Ivan Callus, Critical Studies 23, Brill, 2004).
- Alterities (Parallax 10.4 (2004)).
- Discipline and Practice (with Ivan Callus; Bucknell University Press, 2004).
- Cultural Studies: Interdisciplinarity and Translation (Critical Studies 20, Brill, 2002).
- Lawrence Durrell, Postmodernism and the Ethics of Alterity (Postmodern Studies 26, Brill, 1999).
I have published numerous articles on English and comparative literature, critical and cultural theory and cultural studies (in essay collections and journals such as Reconstruction, Polygraph, Culture Machine and Parallax).
As a translator of scholarly works from English into German and French into English I have translated texts by Bernard Stiegler, Jacques Derrida and Hélène Cixous. Together with Laurent Milesi, Cardiff University, he is the translator of Jacques Derrida, H.C. for Life, That Is to Say…, (Stanford University Press, 2006).
My current writing projects involve the relation between multilingualism, autobiography and deconstruction; notions of alterity and strangeness in literature, theory and culture; posthumanism in literature, film and mediacultures; as well as notions of life, politics and constructions of the future.
I am co-founder and general editor of the Critical Posthumanism Network which aims to connect academics, artists and writers who are critically and creatively engaging with the emerging new paradigm of “posthumanism” and the “posthumanities”. Its main project is putting together an online Genealogy of the posthuman.
I have organised and co-organised three major international and interdisciplinary conferences: “Cultural Studies and Interdisciplinarity” (with Derek McKiernan; Leeds Trinity and All Saints, April 2000), Communities” (with Michael Higgins and Derek McKiernan; Leeds Trinity and All Saints, September 2003), and “Constructions of the Future – Life Beyond Disciplines” (Heidelberg University, July 2011).
My teaching includes modules on cultural analysis, cultural studies, critical and cultural theory, cultural criticism and film studies, English and comparative literature, modern languages (English, German, French), media studies, and research methodology, at undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral level. I am also a fully qualified secondary school teacher for English and French.